Sunday, September 29, 2024

Sunday Sep 29 - Budapest, Hungary

 Wow what a city! Beautiful architecture everywhere you look, multicultural people and food, excellent transit systems, bike and pedestrian friendly. I took rest day one of two to just ride around on the subway and trams and shop for a swim suit and flip flops, I hope to visit a thermal bath tomorrow and get a proper massage also. I went into a Thai massage parlor today but no, I don’t think that’s the type of massage I’m looking for. 

So riding the subway, they are spotless, so are the stations, and toalets, of course you have to pay, but there is a full time attendant who also gives you like 4 sheets of tp and a paper towel, at least at the one I went to. The subway cars have seats on each side facing in, and a lot of open space in the center for standing. They are fast and on time, I never waited more than 3 minutes for a train.

I visited 3 train stations to get a idea of how to get a train along my route to Bratislava, it’s supposed to rain Wednesday and Thursday so i checked out the ticket machines and timetables to see which trains allow bicycles, just in case… I also bought a heavy duty poncho. 

Enjoyed walking around the squares and monuments, public art a lot of places, very little graffiti or vandalism. The Danube riverfront promenade by the parliament building was especially grand, and full of tourists. The river was busy with cruise ships. 

I also went to Westend shopping mall, attached to one of the train stations, a huge 3 level mall with the biggest food court I ever saw… and it was crowded too. 

Decided not to do the castle or house of Houdini tours today, crowds and long lines at the tourist attractions I saw, the Jewish Synagogue largest in Europe, had some beefed up security you could see it from a block away. 

Well I hope to report on a bath and massage tomorrow, I’m kinda thinking maybe an extra day here, rather than in Bratislava … we’ll see what tomorrow brings. 

 













No comments: