Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Wednesday Oct 2 - Esztegom Hungary to Bratislava Slovakia

 Well it wasn’t supposed to rain til 11 I thought I’d have time to get to the train station before it started but nope













e 905 I loaded the last pannier and it started sprinkling, as I pedaled across the Danube to Sturovo Slovakia it got a little heavier, and by the time I got to the train station outside of town a few kms it was coming down good my shoes were all wet from puddles in th3 road, and it was windy and chilly. 

So it was good news that the people at the train station were very helpful and in short order and 21€ I had a 2nd class ticket to Bratislava for me and my bike. 

Met a nice couple from British Columbia Canada on the train they had just spent a memorable week in Romania loved it, so talking with them of our travels the time passed quickly and we pulled into Bratislava just past noon. Still raining but not too heavy I decided to ride to old town for a lunch and then look for a room.

 Quickly got there the train station only a couple km from old town, all downhill. Found the main pedestrian shopping area and a kabob gyro place had a falafel pita sandwich and scoped out air b n b and book8ng.com places, sent a few questions is there secure bike storage?

 While waiting for replies I rode a few more blocks through old town beautiful buildings and pedestrian areas, parks squares public art fountains. I saw a tourist info center went in asked about bike friendly accommodations she gave me a few options to check out. Well the rain was coming down heavier again I was wet but didn’t want to get soaked again so I went pulled under a bridge overpass where a big bus stop was underneath, so here I unpacked my rain pants and vinyl rain jacket and shoe rain covers and put all that on… meanwhile one air b n b apartment sure you can lock your bike to the railing outside the apartment balcony, on the 4th floor, no elevator, and another said yes sure, ground floor apartment you can park it in the hallway outside the apartment, so I booked that one look no further let’s ride up there 2 km and get these wet things all off… 

Got all set up tiny loft apt can’t be 200 sf, but it has a kitchen , bath , couch living area and bed up the steep ladder, and it’s a half block from the presidential palace and w blocks to the pedestrian area where old town starts, perfect location. Booked 3 nights, supposed to rain til Friday tho now maybe not Thursday. A big modern art “lights” festival starts Friday so I’ll be here for the first day/night if that and head up the line Saturday. 

Walked to get groceries for 3 mornings and a couple lunches, decided it’s still raining even harder and getting colder so got the old standby dinner tortellini w sauce, toast n salad and following that a hot shower and early bed. Only saw a small part of this old town but from what I’ve seen it’s very nice. Lots of bars, cafes, wine bars, coffee shops, tea rooms, saw the Slovak bar says trip advisor rates #23 of the top 100 bars in the world so hm think I’ll go there tomorrow eve for a Slovak dinner and beer. 

No comments: