Saturday, August 15, 2009

dog days rounding back into shape

So last weekend I did the birthday 54 ride... today I was able to do a 2 hour loop 31 out to Oviedo and back by the Cady Way/Cross Seminole trail going out, and cutting through winter springs / tuskawilla to eagle to dodd to howell branch back to the trail. Wasn't real strong but pretty solid. Burly racer type zipped past me right before the 436 bridge (biggest hill around)... I let him go but decided on my own to see what I had left getting up the hill.. and caught the dude he was showing off and got gassed climbing up the little thing... so I returned the zip past and watched him try, then fade in the rear view. I am not a racer but at 54 it's nice once in a while to go fast for a while.

Our weather is great, it's hot and humid normal, but we've had lots of cloud cover lately so the sun hasn't been so strong. I'm starting to plan a tour (shsshhh maybe 2) before the year is out, but have pretty well decided I need a sturdier bike for self-contained touring. Each of the past 2 years on the way home I've told myself this is the last loaded tour for the Bilenky, let's keep it light for commuting and overnight or credit card tours and get something more durable, so, even in this economy (how many times have we heard that this year) I'm looking at the mass production standards Surly/Kona/Trek/Cannondale, and the Thorn/Bilenky/BruceGordon/Koga types and having a heck of a time comparing geometries and trying to make a selection. I've been looking onine for used, but that game has gotten pricy and sight unseen it's a lot of dough to put out on trust. Today I'm leaning toward the Surly Long Haul Trucker at $1000 it looks like it will work fine. I really want drop bars and all XT, not convinced steel frame vs heat treated steel vs aluminum that's probably the last choice. I love the steel feel and ride, but people swear by the aluminum ride when loaded...honestly with padded bars, gloves, and a sprung brooks saddle I think the trade off may be worth it. Appreciate any help if you have some experience.

Otherwise, back to tour planning... if I HAVE TO... I'll do a quickie overnight to Hontoon Island for Thanksgiving weekend, and stay in the cabin to minimize pack gear.

Ok well alls well with Julie if you want her update go to http://followmetodelhi.wordpress.com all is going great for her this week shes started classes, loves the school and her hostel warden and the girls she's met so far and Tuesday is moving into the Hostel at Miranda House.

No comments: